Monday 18 April 2011

The Switch


This is one of the peices I made to endorse my new Sew Over It embroidery workshops. It was the first full peice I created since scarily switching from a normal machine foot to a free hand embroidery one. It was a big adjustment and I felt like I was learning to sew all over again! I think the fact that the fabric has to be put onto an embroidery hoop to prevent it from runching is what makes it so difficult. You have to use the embroidery hoop to maneuver the fabric, which is an art very difficult to master! The hoop edge gets caught on parts of the sewing machine and jogs your perfect line, you run out of space within the hoop...it's a whole new set of problems. I was stressed out to say the least and what was meant to be a 3 hour image took me all day!


Now that I have adjusted to the foot (kind of), I do wonder how I had the patience to do some of the things I did with the standard machine foot. Intricate details are a whizz! Straight lines however, seem to be an impossible task, with the hoop issues and all that! Anyway, I am glad I got out of my comfort zone and am developing my skills with the free hand embroidery foot. It has opened a whole new world of possibilities (and frustrations) for me!


You can find out more information about my embroidery workshops and book a place on the Sew Over It website http://www.sewoverit.co.uk/lessons. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment